Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Snot filled Handshakes

Went to see a new client today. He walks into the room holding a scrunched up handkerchief, wet with nasal productivity but still full of utility judging by the way he kept wiping his nose as he strode masterfully into the room. I silently cringed, praying feverishly that he would not proffer his hand for the ubiquitous handshake that is so part of civility in this Nairobi. Frankly speaking, if we had to do without this unhygienic social norm I don't think any one of us would be the worse for social wear. Needless to say, my prayer hit the highway to heaven and was answered in remarkable time (memo to self, send thank you note to God) and he bustled into his seat and started off the meeting with nary a physical acknowledgement. At any other time I would have thought it rude, but now i was simply relieved. A loose piece of snot hung precariously out of his left nostril, accidentally stretched into visibility by the mischevious handkerchief. It took every ounce of my positive Chi to look beyond the client's face to the blank wall behind him, avoiding any sliver of his face within my peripheral vision as my eyes were uncontrollably drawn back to the abomination that plagued his otherwise commanding face. This was definitely going to be a loooong meeting.....

4 comments:

  1. Bad, bad Kungui not wanting to wipe loose piece of snot hanging precariously from a brother's nostril! Was it stationary or the swaying kind?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol @ Tamaku, stationary, swaying, still yuk yuk yuk, gross!!!
    Kungui, loving your way with words...."It took every ounce of my positive Chi to look beyond the client's face to the blank wall behind him, avoiding any sliver of his face within my peripheral vision as my eyes were uncontrollably drawn back to the abomination that plagued his otherwise commanding face".....totally brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me, why the "sign of piece" greeting during church services? Especially when I saw the man seated next to me mark his territory along the church wall second ago?????

    ReplyDelete